Fundamental biological concepts and principles
Students should have a basic understanding of the following biological principles and be able to apply them in either paper:
- The structure and functioning of cells and how they divide by mitosis and meiosis from sections Cell biology and Meiosis.
- That variation occurs when gametes fuse at fertilisation from section Sexual and asexual reproduction.
- The two essential reactions for life on Earth: photosynthesis and respiration from sections Photosynthetic reaction and Aerobic and anaerobic respiration.
- Metabolism is the sum of all the reactions happening in a cell or organism, in which molecules are made or broken down from section Metabolism.
- All molecules are recycled between the living world and the environment to sustain life from sectionHow materials are cycled.
Find out more here