Scarborough UTC Trust Board of Governors
The Role of the Governing Body
The role of the governing board is absolutely key to the effectiveness of a school. School governors and trustees provide strategic leadership and accountability in schools. They appoint the principal and deputy principal. Governors/trustees hold the main responsibility for finance in schools, and it is governors and trustees who work with the principal to make the tough decisions about balancing resources.
Each individual governor is a member of a governing board, which is established in law as a corporate body. Individual governors may not act independently of the rest of the governing board and decisions are the joint responsibility of the governing board.
The role of the governing board is a strategic one with three key functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
The Board is supported by a Finance and Audit Committee, which meets at least three times a year, to assist the decision making of the board of governors, by maintaining oversight of the Trust’s financial operation (including value for money), governance, risk management, internal control and external audit findings. It reports outcomes to the Governing Body including but not limited to external audit outcomes (annual year end audit, interim audit and Responsible Officer outcomes).
The Personnel and Staffing Committee meets at least 3 times a year, and advises the Governing Body about all matters relating to the staffing of the school and to undertake certain responsibilities related to staffing matters on behalf of the Governing Body. It performs this role with the purpose of supporting best practice and of complying with legal requirements in the recruitment, deployment, retention and development and welfare of the school’s staff.
Scarborough UTC Full Governing Board Meeting Dates 2017-18
- Tuesday 18 October 2017, 3.00pm
- Thursday 14 December 2017, 3.00pm
- Thursday 1 February 2018, 3.00pm
- Thursday 3 May 2018, 3.00pm
- Thursday 12 July 2018, 3.00pm
Finance and Audit Committee Meeting Dates 2017-18
- Wednesday 4 October 2017, 3.00pm
- Thursday 30 November 2017, 3.oopm
- Thursday 18 January 2018, 3.00pm
- Thursday 26 April 2018, 3.00pm
- Thursday 28 June 2018, 3.00pm
Personnel and Staffing Committee Meeting Dates 2017-18
- Monday 4 October 2017, 3.00pm
- Wednesday 29 November 2017, 3.00pm
- Wednesday 17 January 2018, 3.00pm
- Wednesday 25 April 2018, 3.00pm
- Wednesday 27 June 2018, 3.00pm
The UTC Trust is a company limited by guarantee and an exempt charity. The trustees of Scarborough UTC Trust are also the directors of the Charitable Company for the purposes of company law. The Charitable Company’s memorandum and articles of association are the primary governing documents of the UTC Trust. The governing body has its own code of conduct that links to legal duties and the specifics of the articles of association.
The Board of Governors is made up of people from the community who have business, management or education experience, alongside staff and parents; A full list of governors can be found in a separate document below.
The Chair of the Governors is: Peter J Wilkinson.
The Clerk to the Governors is: Lynne Dennis. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org and phone number is 01723 316029.