Scarborough UTC Trust Board of Governors
The Role of the Governing Body
The role of the governing board is absolutely key to the effectiveness of a school. School governors and trustees provide strategic leadership and accountability in schools. They appoint the principal and deputy principal. Governors/trustees hold the main responsibility for finance in schools, and it is governors and trustees who work with the principal to make the tough decisions about balancing resources.
Each individual governor is a member of a governing board, which is established in law as a corporate body. Individual governors may not act independently of the rest of the governing board and decisions are the joint responsibility of the governing board.
The role of the governing board is a strategic one with three key functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
The Board is supported by a Resources Management Committee, which meets at least three times a year, to assist the decision making of the board of governors, by maintaining oversight of the Trust’s financial operation (including value for money), governance, risk management, internal control and external audit findings. It reports outcomes to the Governing Body including but not limited to external audit outcomes (annual year end audit, interim audit and Responsible Officer outcomes).
The Curriculum & Standards Committee meets at least 3 times a year to monitor and review school performance and educational standards in all curriculum areas.
Scarborough UTC Full Governing Board Meeting Dates 2018-19
Chair – John Pendleton
- Wednesday 24 October 2018, 5.00pm
- Wednesday 12 December 2018, 5.00pm
- Wednesday 10 April 2019, 5.00pm
- Wednesday 17 July 2019, 5.00pm
Curriculum & Standards Committee Meeting Dates 2018-19
Chair – Kevin Deadman
- Wednesday 3 October 2018, 5.00pm
- Wednesday 21 November 2018, 5.oopm
- Wednesday 30 January 2019, 5.00pm
- Wednesday 20 March 2019, 5.00pm
- Wednesday 15 May 2019, 5.00pm
- Wednesday 26 June 2019, 5.00pm
Resources Management Committee Meeting Dates 2018-19
Chair – Vacant
- Wednesday 10 October 2018, 5.00pm
- Wednesday 28 November 2018, 5.00pm
- Wednesday 6 February 2019, 5.00pm
- Wednesday 27 March 2019, 5.00pm
- Wednesday 22 May 2019, 5.00pm
- Wednesday 3 July 2019, 5.00pm
The UTC Trust is a company limited by guarantee and an exempt charity. The trustees of Scarborough UTC Trust are also the directors of the Charitable Company for the purposes of company law. The Charitable Company’s memorandum and articles of association are the primary governing documents of the UTC Trust. The governing body has its own code of conduct that links to legal duties and the specifics of the articles of association.
The Board of Governors is made up of people from the community who have business, management or education experience, alongside staff and parents; A full list of governors can be found in a separate document below.
The Chair of the Governors is: Mr John Pendleton. Contact address: Rosti Automotive, Westgate Carr Road, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 8LX.
The Clerk to the Governors is: Sian Henderson. Her email address is email@example.com.
Governors Profile including Declarations of Interest 2017-2018
Articles of Association